Your Final for this class is to write a three- to five-page compare-and-contrast research paper that investigates how two works of art from different periods styles represent a particular them in art. Your comparison must focus on the artists and period styles covered in LA 121 and must include at least ONE artwork from a period style introduced after Module 7.
The pair you choose must be drawn from two different period styles. For example, you may compare a Mannerist artwork with a Baroque artwork. However, you may NOT compare a Mannerist artwork with another work from the Mannerist period.
It is important to choose two artworks that have a number of things in common as well as a number of unique aspects to compare.
Before you write your paper, you must submit a proposal to your instructor for approval. Your proposal will help both you and your instructor ensure that you are planning an appropriate comparison.
Write a 3-5 page essay comparing and contrasting two works of art from two different styles covered in this course between the periods of the High Renaissance and Impressionism. One of your selected works of art must be from AFTER the midterm (Modules 8-14) You must cover the following points in your comparison:
Introduction and Thesis
• Introduce the artwork titles, period styles and artists names
• Briefly state what you believe is significant about these artworks
• In other words… Tell your reader what works of art you will be discussing and why you think they are important
• Correctly identify artwork titles, period styles and artists names
• Compare the artworks by discussing key stylistic characteristics associated with artists and period styles
• Apply art history vocabulary correctly and uses it to support your stylistic analysis
• In other words… What make these works stylistically significant?
• Compare the artworks by discussing key cultural issues associated with artists and periods
• Discuss how the cultural context of each period influenced the artistic development of the period style (Make connections between cultural context and style)
• In other words… What makes these works culturally significant?
Conclusion and Thematic Connection
• Analyze the ways art can affect and/or reflect cultural, political and social issues
• Draw conclusions about the artist / society which produced the artwork from the comparison
• In other words… What “Thematic Connection” can you make between the two works of art that helps you better understand them or the culture they represent?