This assignment requires students to actively engage in the research process and utilize critical thinking skills and personal reflection. In an attempt to increase awareness of psychological concepts and processes in the everyday world, this assignment will require students to select a topic from the field of social psychology, conduct a search of peer-reviewed literature, and provide their critical review and personal reflection on the topic selected. Students will be required to connect the information with their own life, compare and contrast it with their own views and beliefs, and recognize the information’s implications for their personal and professional future.
Topic: Discrimination based on gender/sexism
To complete your paper, please respond to the following questions:
- What prompted you to choose a reading in this area versus the others offered?
I am a female in the healthcare industry. I see for myself the inequality of leadership positions and pay.
- Briefly summarize the findings or main ideas of the article. NOTE: This should be a fairly substantial part of your paper, but no more than ¼ of it.
- What about your reading jumped out at you or most caught your attention? Why do you think this was the case?
Studies conducted across the globe found that women in business leadership has significantly improved such factors as firm value, financial performance, economic growth, innovation, insolvency risk, and social responsiveness and philanthropy (article page 313)
- In what ways does this information apply (and/or how could it apply in the future) to your:
daily personal life? and professional career?
Professional Life: Table 1. Lack of mentality to pursue leadership: # 2 – Be assertive in identifying role models and creating connections to potential mentors, coaches, and sponsors. Personal Life: Women need to support each other in their professional AND personal lives. We tend to attack each other instead of backing one another and helping each other. Share in successes. Support one another in disappointments
- In what ways does this information confirm or alter your previously held views and/or attitudes?
- In what ways does this information challenge your understanding of past or present experiences?
- In what ways does this information challenge you to change your future thoughts, attitudes, and behavior?
A title page and header are required. The paper must total four pages (not including title page and references), be double spaced, and use 1 inch margins and a 10 or 12 point font. There is no need for extra spaces between paragraphs. Citations should adhere to APA style and a reference page should be included as a separate page at the end of the paper. You MUST use a peer-reviewed journal article.