Topic: In The Old Man and the Sea, Santiago repeatedly identifies the marlin as a “brother.” What is the significance of this identification of the marlin? How does it connect to the way in which Santiago’s and the marlin’s roles at some points seem to become blurred? Most importantly, how does it connect to the larger themes of the novel?The important idea in this topic is ethnocentrism (a belief that ecosystems and their interests should be valued intrinsically and placed before human interest). Our class focuses on how nature depicted in the work. I also uploaded a file about the ethnocentrism (Wilderness by Leopold) for your reference. Also note that I’m a non-native speaker so please write that is easy to understand it.
Book link: https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/hemingwaye-oldmanandthesea/hemingwaye-oldmanandthesea-00-h.html
· Use the present tense when you are analyzing a literary text.
· Begin your essay with a title that clearly indicates the essay’s subject matter, including the title of the book you will be discussing (e.g. Wilderness and Hunting in Leopold’s Sand County Almanac).
· This essay, like any academic essay, should contain a strong one-sentence thesis statement at or very near the end of the opening paragraph. Each supporting paragraph should begin with a topic sentence that makes a claim about the text and then proceed to give evidence for that claim and to discuss that evidence.
· The thesis statement and topic sentences must make claims about the text (e.g. “In Leopold’s essay, the wilderness is a stage on which men use traditional skills to prove themselves,” NOT just “The wilderness is a stage on which men use traditional skills to prove themselves”).
· Your evidence should include a good balance of direct quotation from the text and paraphrase. Remember to integrate direct quotations in the way you were taught in class (and in ML style) and to include a works cited list.
· Each body paragraph must contain multiple pieces of evidence. For the essay to achieve a passing grade, at least one of those pieces of evidence in each body paragraph must be quoted directly. Please do not rely on previously chosen online lists of quotations from famous works. Students who do this miss the most important pieces of evidence, fail to make original arguments, and generally fail to demonstrate deep enough knowledge of the text that they are discussing
· Avoid plot summary altogether, even in your introduction. Focus on argument and analysis.
· No reading of secondary material is required or expected. This is not a research paper.
· Do not rely on ready-made online analyses of the book for your ideas. The best essays result from making your own observations and developing your own opinions.
· If you do use secondary sources, including any of the many freely available sources on the internet, please cite your sources fully in both in-text citations and the works cited list. Failure to do so is plagiarism, even if you are only drawing on the ideas, not the actual words, of the sources you have consulted. See the ML Style.
Guidelines handout for detailed information on how to give proper credit to your sources.
· If you really want to find good quality secondary sources on literary texts, remember that the best place to search in the ML International Bibliography (available under Databases on the library website).
· Your essay should be formatted in ML style (this includes both the layout of the paper as a whole as well as the format of the in-text citations and works cited list). Good online resources for ML style may be found by searching for “OWL Purdue ML format” on the internet.
Your task for this project is to develop a complete strategic Internet (DIGITAL) Marketing plan – marketing, advertising, media, and financial plans for a product or service. For example it can be a product/brand such as Go Pro, Nikon, Kodak or service such as MySpace, Etty, Fresh Direct, PayPal etc. The latter group can also include various social media/networking platforms as well as B2B sites. In addition, I find it very valuable when doing a project of this nature specifically for non-profit/charitable organizations since they are heavily dependent on the use of digital media due to financial constraints.
The important point here is that the product or service you choose NEEDS a new marketing plan because for various reasons (based on research you will conduct) it is not growing as well as expected (and in comparison with its competitors) in the marketplace.
Research: Find at least 5 articles that are at least 3 pages in length each, focused on a single product or product line, service or idea detailed above. Business Magazines that are likely to contain articles that meet these criteria include Fortune, Forbes, SJW, Business Week among others. In addition there are many digital marketing news magazines that you should use (e.g. COM.com, Media post, adage, internet retailer etc.) Articles should be dated 2018, 2017, 2016, or 2015. These articles are to be used to conduct a situation analysis on your product/company. For example, if you choose to do a digital marketing plan for Jet Blue, then find and select articles about the parent company and its recent digital and online strategies regarding its brand and offerings. What have they been doing, have they or have they not been as successful competing with other big players like American and Southwest, and try to get as much detail as possible about the company itself and its digital marketing/advertising strategies and also financial performance data from their annual reports and other sources including those listed below through Pace library. Remember the more detailed and comprehensive your report the better your grade. Almost everything you write should be based on facts, data and research you conduct online. Always cite your sources fully and correctly so I can access the same information quickly.
The number of articles you need will depend on the amount of information you find in your article (s). The more the better of course, but choose articles that add value to your project. Your assignment will be to develop/infer the marketing plan using the basic concepts of marketing learned in class. Use the headings and sub-headings as noted below.
Company Analysis – This section explains what the company’s strengths are and how the company is able to achieve its mission and goals.
■ Company Analysis:
■ Trends in sales/ market share.
■ Specific segments which exhibit growth/ stagnation.
■ Trends in DIGITAL ad/ MIC.
■ How is the brand currently positioned?