Faculty of Business and Law
ACADEMIC YEAR 2018/19
Module Code: UMSCTW-15-M
Module Title: Corporate Governance & Strategy
Submission Deadline: 05/12/18
Assessment Component Coursework
Assessment Weighting: 50%
Marking and feedback
deadline (20 working days)
UMSDFM-15-M Full-time MBA: Summer 2018 Page 1!
The coursework will take the form of an individual submission.
Take any industry and a specific company within it. Prepare a critical analysis outlining the attractiveness of the industry and the adequacy of the individual company’s strategy in the light of your expectations about future developments and outcomes. You will need to:
• carry out an environmental analysis
• assess test both the adequacy and likely sustainability of the company’s competitive advantage based on both market characteristics and the organisation’s perceived capabilities
• determine the general scope of any change required to enable a desired change in direction
• briefly consider the company’s ethics and governance performance.
You should email me with brief details of the industry / company you intend to examine.
You will be required to use secondary sources only.
Make sure you refer to and apply theoretical frameworks used on the course in your answers. It is best to put these frameworks in an appendix and reserve the main report for a narrative discussion of the industry / company situation.
Here are some guidelines to enable you to successfully complete the assignment:
1. Bullets vs paragraphs: neither rely on short bullet points which have no selfstanding meaning nor on extensive and rambling paragraphs: strike a happy medium
2. Planning answers: plan the structure and arguments to be contained within your answers properly. Be sure you know what your ‘storyline’ is before committing yourself to paper
3. CEO document: imagine that the CEO of the company has asked you to provide advice against the issues / questions raised: justify your line of argument accordingly and provide evidence to support such arguments. A business report rather than a referenced academic discussion is required.
4. Critique theory: be prepared to critique the theory and frameworks you have been given: are they fit for purpose? Do they work under the particular conditions in which you seek to apply them?
5. Avoid application of templates: do not simply pepper your answers with PEST /
5 Forces: these should only appear as appendices: based on such analyses you should then draw out arguments and recommendations based thereon. This is vital.
Indicative Report Format for Coursework
Note: you are not obliged to follow this structure, it is a suggested format only.
What is the industry and how do you define its boundaries?
Which company, or significant part of a company are you looking at?
What is significant, what drives the industry?
2. Environment / background
General discussion of trends [based on PEST / 5 Forces etc,.]
Development of 1 or 2 scenarios: how do you think the industry will develop over the next 5-10 years?
UMSDFM-15-M Full-time MBA: Summer 2018 Page 2!
The individual assignment represents 50% of the overall course mark.
• See Appendix 1
Formative feedback and Support
Formative feedback provides opportunities to reflect on your ongoing work and preparation for your assignment.
By giving close attention to both case study preparation and subsequent class discussions and
linking this to lecture material you will be able to develop those skills required ot tackle the
In addition there will be a bespoke library session which will give you the necessary tools for researching industry sectors and companies.
The assignment will be carefully outlined in class and there will be regular checks on progress.
Each individual will be asked to submit their proposed sector / company in advance and advice will be given both on the practicality of the chosen area and on how to tackle it.
Further information about this assessment is available on the Blackboard site for this module and includes:
• lecture slides
• reading list
• slides relating to the library industry research session
• case studies
Please use the following file format(s): MS Word or PDF. We cannot ensure that other formats are compatible with markers’ software.
All work should be word processed in 12-point font Times New Roma, Arial or Calibri and single
The first page of your coursework must include:
• Your student Number
• The module Name and Number
• Your word Count
• The name of the company which you have used for your assignment
The maximum word limit for this coursework is 2500.
• This word count includes everything in the main body of the text and in appendices (including headings, tables, citations, quotes, lists, etc.).
• The references, bibliography and footnotes (provided footnotes only include references) are NOT included in this word count.
• There is no direct penalty for exceeding the word count, but the marker WILL stop reading once the maximum word limit has been reached and nothing further will be taken into account in the allocation of marks.
You can view the UWE word count policy here: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/aboutus/policies
UMSDFM-15-M Full-time MBA: Summer 2018 Page 3!
Please adhere to the principles of good academic practice and ensure you reference all sources used when developing your assessment, using the UWE Harvard/OSCOLA system (amend as appropriate). Failure to properly reference your work to original source material can be grounds for the assessment offence of plagiarism and may result in failure of the assessment or have more serious implications.
For further guidance on correct referencing go to:
Details of what constitutes plagiarism and how to avoid it can be found here:
For general guidance on how to avoid assessment offences see:
Instructions for submission
You must submit your assignment before the stated deadline by electronic submission through Blackboard / Pebblepad / DEWIS test / other (delete as appropriate). Notification that the electronic submission portal is open for your assignment is displayed (usually two weeks before the submission date) in the Coursework tab in myUWE, the Coursework tab in Blackboard and via an announcement in the Blackboard course (amend as appropriate if not using Blackboard online submission).
Please allow sufficient time to upload your assignment, noting that the system becomes busier and
slower as the deadline approaches. Only your final upload will be counted. Ensure all your
information is submitted at one attempt to avoid ‘overwriting’ your intended submission. Always
check and retain your receipts (amend as appropriate if not using Blackboard online submission).
Late submission in the 24 hours following the deadline will be accepted but the assignment mark
will be capped at 40%. Submissions after 24 hours will not be accepted. For full guidance on online
submission through Blackboard, see:
Submissions of coursework by any other method (including a paper copy, on disk or by email) are
NOT permissible for this module unless specifically agreed in advance of the submission date.
Before submitting your work, please ensure that:
• You have proof read you work thoroughly to ensure your work is presented appropriately
• You have addressed all the required elements of the assessment
• You have referenced in accordance with the guidance provided
• You have addressed each of the marking criterion
• The submission is in the correct format
Final feedback and marks release
Students will normally receive marks and feedback on their submission within 20 working days of
the submission deadline (not including any public holidays or university closure days). Any delay in
returning students’ work will be communicated by the module leader via Blackboard. Individual
feedback will be given and it will be possible for individuals to discuss this feedback in person
thereafter if required.
Feedback on this module is not limited to the written comments you will receive on individual written
Feedback and marks for this module will be available by 09/01/19
For further guidance on feedback, please refer to the module handbook.
UMSDFM-15-M Full-time MBA: Summer 2018 Page 4!
Further Guidance and Support
General guidance on study skills: is available at: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/students/studysupport/
Specific study skills pages relating to this module include:
Support from the FBL Academic Success Centre:
Guidance on UWE assessment regulations and terminology: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/students/
academic advice/assessments/assessments guide.aspx
Guidance on using the library: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/library/usingthelibrary.aspx
If you are experiencing difficulties in completing a piece of assessment on time due to unexpected
circumstances (for example illness, accident, bereavement), you should seek advice from a Student
Support Adviser at the earliest opportunity.
Please note the module leader cannot grant personal circumstances or extensions.
Appointments with a student adviser can be made via an Information Point or online at:
The Student Support Adviser will advise as to whether you should submit an application for
‘Personal Circumstances (PCs)’, how to do so and what evidence is required to support the
Further details on ECs can be found here:
UMSDFM-15-M Full-time MBA: Summer 2018 Page 5!
Appendix 1: Marking Scheme
What is the industry and how do
you define its boundaries?
Which company, or significant
part of a company are you looking
What is significant, what drives
of sector and
activities to be
basics set out
Drivers of industry /
sector / company
included in a
of sector / company
6. Environment /
General discussion of trends
[based on PEST / 5 Forces etc,.]
Development of 1 or 2 scenarios:
how do you think the industry
will develop over the next 5-10
setting out of
made to project
out key factors
and their impact.
Synthesis into 2
factors set out and
delineated in terms of
discussion of future
and how they impact
Synthesis into holistic
scenario chosen to
7. The company
Describe its current strategy
[based on SWOT / generic
• Competitive advantage
into the 4
Some attempt to
address each of
the 4 core areas
standard tools /
each of the 4
All four areas
justice may not
have been given
to all. Clear
each area shown:
For example the
Excellent, all four
areas addressed in
full. Clear relative
8. Future prospects
Is the company’s perceived
strategy adequate in the face of
expected business environment /
What is the scope / type of
change, if any, that you expect the
company to need to undertake?
What are the financial
implications given adequacy or
otherwise of the current strategy:
on what financial measures
should the company focus?
of the company
drawing on an
of future sector
and plans for
depth and width
there may be
failure to outline
reasons why this
is not required
Very good discussion
of future prospects
Financial data used to
and to set future
9. Appendices Very
g of 2nd
which can be
of main models
which can be clearly
understood and which
can be referenced to /
from the main body
of the report
Professional Writing Achieves Standards of Written Communication
Performance in these areas meets a professional level of formal written business
Report contains no, or only minor, errors that do not interfere with a professional level of
• Micro-level concerns: mechanics (spelling, punctuation and grammar), sentence
• Professionalism: format, voice, purpose
• Organization: tightness of fit, paragraph coherence, cohesiveness/flow, summaries
• Executive Summary: provides senior managers with accurate picture of key issues;
Faculty of Business and Law