NURS 499 Capstone Project Blog Week 7
Follow Blog Instructions and Formatting Template for entry
I filled out some of the sections to keep you on track with my progress. Please complete the missing sections using nursing journal or information from the CDC (at least 2 references). I included my classmates Blog to provide extra guidance.
- The blog is intended to serve as a journal for your project throughout the semester. It is the mechanism through which you report progress (or lack of progress!), and share information relevant to project implementation and evaluation.
- Blog entries should be entered every other week. Each entry should be as concise and substantive as possible and show the progress you are making with your project. Comment on two of your classmates blogs 3. Please provide entries according to the following format to provide consistency across all blogs.
- a. Introduction/overview of week’s goals and accomplishments*
-My goal during the last two weeks has been to develop an effective 10 question survey for dialysis patients with Central Venous Catheter to assess their level of knowledge The project is not intended to teach patients to change their own dressings on their catheters, but rather monitoring the integrity of their dressings in order to recognize when a dressing change is indicated.
-Second, I managed to set up a meeting with the unit manager to discuss the implementation of using a patient survey to assess knowledge and perception of CVC care. I mentioned that an explanation of the survey will be provided and completion of the questionnaire will be assumed to imply consent. Ethical considerations include confidentiality of individual and institutional responses being protected.
-Lastly, I began to ultize the questionnaire with a total of 9 clients thus far. Responses were being collected in hours, days or frequencies per week. Participant answers were responded to in an impartial manner, with no discussion as to the correctness of responses.
- Challenges (anticipated and unanticipated) faced and strategies used to overcome challenges/barriers*
- Utilization of coaching and/or mentoring to assist you in your work; as well as noting any coaching or mentoring you offered to those helping you carry out this project
I sought out assistance from upper management, as well as approval from various other key players, such as the Infection Control, Compliance, Quality Improvement, Home Health Education, Case Management, Outpatient Management, and Information Technology Departments. It was essential to tailor specific parts of the project to address the concerns and values related to each individual department.
- Capstone Project Plan Progress: Is project progressing according to plan and timeline? Explain and amplify.
- Leadership lessons learned
- Outcomes achieved
- Track clinical hours weekly / running total in your blog (90 total required for course)
5 hours were spent collaborating with the interdisciplinary team to review the questionnaire and gain approval
10 clinical hours were spent gathering data using the 10 question survey
3 hours were spent doing research to develop the questionnaire comparing it to evidence based practices.