BA Primary Education (Development of the Creative Arts, the Humanities and PE)
For the purposes of this course/module the ‘Creative Arts’ consists of the following subjects:
- Art & Design
- Design & Technology
The Humanities consists of the following subjects:
- Religious Education
PE is included in the module and in Year 3 in order to ensure breadth of coverage of the foundation subjects.
- Written assessments should be word-processed in Arial or Calibri Light font size 12. There should be double-spacing and each page should be numbered.
- There should be a title page identifying the programme name, module title, assessment title, your student number, your marking tutor and the date of submission. All marking of assignments is conducted anonymously – please do not put your name on your assignment.
- You should include a word-count at the end of the assessment (excluding references, figures, tables and appendices).
Where a word limit is specified, the following penalty systems applies:
- Up to 10% over the specified word length = no penalty
- 10 – 20% over the specified indicative word length = 5 marks subtracted (but if the assessment would normally gain a pass mark, then the final mark to be no lower than the pass mark for the assessment).
- More than 20% over the indicative word length = if the assessment would normally gain a pass mark or more, then the final mark will capped at the pass mark for the assessment.
- All written work should be referenced using the standard Havard referencing style (please see Moodle and your programme handbook for a full guide).
This assignment is intended to provide you with the opportunity to produce a potentially useful resource and to develop your knowledge, skills and understanding of the module’s subjects.
The assignment is one document which consists of two main parts, one of which has two sub-sections i.e. three sections altogether.
- Firstly, you need to produce an over-view or topic web of a cross-curricular (or integrated) project based around the following theme: India – this should indicate all the activities that a realistic cross-curricular Medium term plan would cover (based on a 5 or 6 week half-term. This should be related to the National Curriculum (DfE 2013) or Early Years Foundation Stage and should encompass as many subjects as is realistic and appropriate including the core. (500 words equivalent)
- This over-view then needs to be accompanied by a ‘Teacher’s Pack’. The pack should include teaching aid ‘cards’ for four different subjects (each one being no more than 2 sides of A4), including supporting materials (all of which should be capable of being stored electronically). The cards can be designed in any way that you deem appropriate for the subject and activity covered. Additional key supportive material such as larger photographs, charts etc can be included and not count towards the 2 sides of A4 (1,750 words equivalent)
- To complete your resource you will need to provide a rationale for the ‘pack’. This will explain:
- how the subjects contribute to the children’s understanding of the theme,
- reasons for selecting the activities chosen and the accompanying supporting materials.
- the value of working in a cross-curricular manner,
- particular considerations when working in this manner related to the quality of the teaching and learning of the subjects encompassed within the theme.
- any issues relating to health and safety and inclusion.
Within the rationale you must include good evidence of background reading for all the subjects covered in order to support your ideas. For the purposes of this assignment you will need to reference your sources relating to your rationale and any ideas, photos, suggested videos, activities and so on, as appropriate to your teacher’s pack.
Reading and specific assignment criteria included within files. Example of what topic web and teachers pack look like also included.