Structured evaluative piece of writing based on a research paper.
Structured evaluative piece of writing based on this research paper: UCHL1 provides diagnostic and antimetastatic strategies due to its deubiquitinating effect on HIF-1α Goto, Y., Zeng, L., Yeom, C. et al. UCHL1 provides diagnostic and antimetastatic strategies due to its deubiquitinating effect on HIF-1α. Nat Commun 6, 6153 (2015).
Questions to be answered;
1. Briefly summarise the main findings described in this paper
2. In Figure 1C the authors use siRNA to reduce UCHL1 levels in cells. Briefly describe how siRNA can reduce UCHL1 expression and suggest two alternative approaches the authors could have used, outlining how they work, their benefits and their limitations.
3. Pick the figure (relates to an entire figure and not the individual panels that you think is the most important. Describe the results, the experimental approach(es) used and why you think that it is the key figure in the paper.
4. Draw and briefly discuss the signalling pathway delineated in this study and how this adds to what was previously known about HIF regulation.
5. What are the physiological, pathophysiological and therapeutic implications of this study?
– When writing your answers for the 5 separate questions, it is important to ensure that each individual answer is well structured, coherent and well-argued. This may involve including short introductory or concluding statements in some answers, but this will likely not be necessary for all of the questions. Indeed, having an introduction and conclusion for each question would probably result in a lot of unnecessary repetition.