For this week’s video assignment, I want you to imagine that you are an immigrant arriving in New York City in the period between 1898-1918. In your video, speak in the first person (I, my) about your experiences in New York City. The individual you are becoming is fictional, but the reflections should be based on the factual truth of a person arriving and living in that environment.
In your video be sure to discuss the following (in whatever order you choose):
• Your background–where did you come from and why? Why did you choose to come to NYC? Are you young or old?
• How did you arrive here in New York City and what did you think of Ellis Island?
• What were daily living conditions like? What did you do for work and leisure?
• Describe your surroundings. What were some famous landmarks and features of life in modern NYC?
• Weave in something about the Triangle Fire and the politician Al Smith.
• Did you feel like an outsider or did you feel at home in NYC? explain.