Realism in 19th Century Art
In this paper you will discuss different aspects of Realism in 19th century art:
1- In the first part, give definition of the different aspects of Realism we have encountered in our study of 19th century art: Optical Realism (the Barbizon School), Idealism (the Hudson River School), Social Realis (Courbet, Millet, Daumier).
2- Context: Explain the importance of the industrialization during the 19th century, the role of photography, the development of unions and political activism (social realism) in the development of Realist art.
3- For the third part of the paper, select 3 different works of art by different artists, that in your opinion, illustrate the variety of “realist” approaches in the visual arts: Optical Realism, Idealism and Social Realism. Select artworks with different subject matters.
4- Make sure that you analyze clearly the visual elements for each of the selected works that allow you to discuss them as examples of realism. Point out the differences and/or similarities.
– Include images of the selected works on the title age of your paper with the ID for each artwork: artist’s name, title of work, dimensions, medium, collection where artwork is kept (usually a Museum)
– Do not forget introduction and conclusion
– Take time to re-read and proofread your paper before submitting it
– Do not forget to cite the sources when using information from a book or internet.
– Add a works cited page at the end of your paper.