Many organizations work to better local and global communities’ quality of life and promote health and safety in times of crisis. As public health and safety advocates, nurses must be cognizant of how such organizations help certain populations. As change agents, nurses must be aware of factors that impact the organization and the services that it offers. Familiarity with these organizations enables the nurse to offer assistance as a volunteer and source of referral.
This assessment provides an opportunity for you gain insight into the mission, vision, and operations of a community services organization of interest.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze health risks and health care needs among distinct populations.
- Explain how an organization’s work impacts the health and/or safety needs of a local community.
- Competency 2: Propose health promotion strategies to improve the health of populations.
- Explain how an organization’s mission and vision enable it to contribute to public health and safety improvements.
- Competency 3: Evaluate health policies, based on their ability to achieve desired outcomes.
- Assess the impact of funding sources, policy, and legislation on an organization’s provision of services.
- Competency 4: Integrate principles of social justice in community health interventions.
- Evaluate an organization’s ability to promote equal opportunity and improve the quality of life within a community.
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication strategies to lead health promotion and improve population health.
- Write clearly and concisely in a logically coherent and appropriate form and style.
Note: Complete the assessments in this course in the order in which they are presented.