Present day, it is evident that policing is going to be reformed in reference to the use of physical force, I believe that extreme constrictions will be mandated, and policing will be revolutionized once again. I will focus on the 21st Century Policing Initiative that has been in the execution stages for the past few years. The community policing elements of this policing initiative have been validated and effective but the elements redressing the use of force have not been as smoothly accepted and transitioned.
The current unrest and national climate that has been exasperated due to the unfortunate incident in which the life of George Floyd was ended by a uniformed commissioned police officer. The repercussions of the pressures from activist and politics that will inevitably have a national impact and revolutionize police operations and tactics. I am and personally will be experiencing and responsible for leading officers through the rule changes and weathering the contempt for police behaviors by the people police are to serve and protect.
- Is policing better off today than it was in the 20th Century?
- Is the de-escalation tactic over-used and or under used?
- Are the police safer?
- Is the community safer?
- Due to the current unrest our nation is experiencing and the shift in our political climate, is now the right time to review the use of force aspects?
- What are the accepted “rules of engagement?
- Are officers being hesitant in using force, placing themselves and the public at risk?
- Will law makers need to enact legislation to redefine the vindication for use of force?